Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Day 6 - Jai Ho(gan)

Like I stated last week, we watched the award winning 2008 thriller Slumdog Millionaire, 5 times today. I have already seen the film, dont like it but still am forced to watch the entire middle section of, 45 mins of it every class period. I saw the Jai Ho dance time after time, and cant get the song out of my head. I have constantly heard the boys of the class talk about if the main girl is hot, and how nasty of a place India looks.

On to the educational part of this blog, I dont really get what the students will take out of this film. I understand it shows "real life India", and this will help students understand what some parts of India are like. But I still think a false stereotype is being created. I really dont think this a good thing, but it is good that a different perspective than what the students are used to is being presented. All other perspectives on India the students have are that of the United States, but this movie shows the life of someone born and raised in the slums of India.

I really hope that while I was gone the teacher focused on how India came to be, and the ideas of Hinduism, and how India connects with the rest of the world were the focus of previous lectures that I wasnt present for.

I am really starting to get a feel for how students interact here at Warren. There are many similar cliques that I noticed were present at my high school as well. Also, I am seeing that students have very good relationships with educators and the educators seem to be interested in students interests and what activities they do outside of school. This could be a sport or a club ran by the school they are in. I feel like this gives students a better chance to learn from their teacher as a healthy student/teacher relationship can go along way.


PS- i graded some more papers too, i do it every day NBD

No comments:

Post a Comment