Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Day 5 - India Our India, India We're All For You

Today in our geography class, the topic was India. This was not my most exciting day as it consited of lecture after lecture on the country, and of course a tid bit of grading. Throughout the lectures I once again felt like many things were needed to be added, as I felt like the stereotype of India being a place where every single inch of the country is filled with trash and overpopulated by dirty poor people. While, I know that this terrible thing does occur in the country that still is not the most important aspect. The teacher as also informed us that next Thursday we will be watching Slumdog Millionaire. (very educational?????) Oh well, I watched some pretty bogus movies in my high school social studies classes as well.

The teacher did incorporate some history into class today as well. She included Gandhi, but I'm pretty sure if you asked the students who he was, they would say something like "hes an old peaceful dude from India, who had silly glasses and wore a diaper looking thing" This doesnt seem right to me, but once again the teacher still has more lectures on India to give, and I hope she incorporates all of Gandhi's contributions to India.

I do feel like I am getting to interact with students more, this could be before and after class; or even in the passing periods where I "monitor" the halls. This is definitely a highlight to my observation, as a lot of the kids are easy to relate to with similar hobbies such as sports or the "hottest hip hop song" of that week.

I still havent really got to teach so this still kinda sucks, but I do feel like im learning how to be the best teacher I can be.


PS I got invited to a "ratchet twurking party that weekend". I politely said I would not be attending, and that was inappropriate to offer me an invitation. Still I had to chuckle, and thought to my self "why didnt I have one of those in my high school days?"

No comments:

Post a Comment